Saturday, February 04, 2006

Robview #2 "Packet 8"

Yes folks, its time for another thrilling edition of "Robview". In this edition, we discuss the topic of "Packet 8". Packet 8 is a VOIP type phone service that we have used for nearly a year now. Some of you may have heard of "Vonage" which is probably the most well known VOIP service out there. VOIP works through a broadband internet connection (you must have broadband to use VOIP) and functions essentially just like a normal phone line. Why switch to a VOIP service you may ask? Number 1 reason is to save money. We pay under 25.00/ month for phone service and features that cost over 60.00 month with regular phone company. Features include: unlimited long distance in US and Canada, caller ID, call waiting, call forwarding, voice mail, to name a few.
Let me list a few cons in all fairness:
voice quality is not always the best, echoing can sometimes be heard, phone is out when internet connection is down, they don't yet support faxing.
In summary,
I have felt it has been worth it. Our 1 year contract with Packet 8 is over at the end of this month. I am thinking of giving Vonage a try next. Some friends of ours will be going with Vonage soon and I want to check it out at their place. I will keep you posted.
Stay tuned for the next Robview where the topic will be the much anticipated look at "Plaxo"
You may never lose another phone number or address again. EVER!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry this has nothing to do with you posting but I'm still chuckling at the comments on Tom's post about Superbowl and wondering if I dare reveal myself! I don't think I would have anything witty enough to say....

Rob said...

Yeah it was a pretty good string of comments. With Tom you never know when he is serious or not. LOL He always keeps you wondering.